Senior Leaders' Literacy Workshop
Wednesday 21 June 2017, 10 am - 3 pm, Southport Register
Wednesday 28 June 2017, 10 am - 3 pm, Birmingham Register
The effects of low literacy are pervasive and complex, contributing to disengagement, behaviour problems, mental health issues, and low achievement. This one-day workshop will equip you to prepare a comprehensive strategy that takes account of student needs, manage resources wisely, and target interventions for maximum impact. The day includes lunch, tools to help you audit your needs and provision, and opportunities for collaboration with other senior leaders.
Literacy Co-ordinators' Workshop
Autumn workshops to be confirmed. Contact us for details.
The purpose of this workshop is to equip school leaders of literacy to measure, evaluate and enhance provision. Topics covered will include:
- The causes of low literacy
- Assessing the literacy profile of a cohort
- Co-ordinating different levels of support to make best use of limited resources
- Evaluating the track record of interventions
- Evaluating impact in the school
The day includes lunch, opportunities to analyse your own data, and to collaborate with colleagues.
Helping Struggling Readers in the English Classroom
Thursday 15 June 2017, 10 am - 3 pm, London Register
Tuesday 20 June 2017, 10 am - 3 pm, Southport Register
Reading is usually conceived of as a skill, but a great deal of what holds students back is a lack of knowledge – not only of the subjects they must read about, but also of the alphabetic code and text conventions used to convey this knowledge. This in turn raises the question of what knowledge teachers need to have at their fingertips in order to address the knowledge gaps of their pupils.
This workshop will:
- Identify the characteristics of stronger and weaker readers.
- Analyse the components of reading and of the English sound-spelling system.
- Examine close assessment of individual reading skills.
- Provide strategies for helping students with decoding problems in the classroom.
- Describe a strategic approach to selecting and applying reading interventions.
- Consider steps towards building a reading culture.
Literacy Leads' Development Day
Summer Term 2017 (Date TBC) - London
This one-day programme supports literacy leaders responsible for implementing Thinking Reading in schools. It will address:
- Dyslexia definitions and research
- Communicating our beliefs through the language we use with students
- Setting high expectations with staff and students
- Ensuring sustained progress
- Tracking student progress
- Monitoring meetings with LSAs
- Problem analysis
- Typical errors and how to address them
- Record keeping
- Evaluating impact
A Tiered Approach to Literacy Improvement
Summer Term 2017 (Date and venue tbc)
This one hour session will cover a three-tiered approach to intervention, and will introduce Thinking Reading as a Tier 3 one-to-one intervention. Please contact us here to register your interest.